Most of the Android devices come with locked bootloaders, so you need to unlock the bootloader before doing anything. Xiaomi Mi 8 come with locked bootloaders, but it’s easy to unlock them. Today, let’s see how to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 8 devices.
The Mi 8 Smartphone from Xiaomi features dual rear cameras, both at 12MP, and a 20MP front camera for your hi-res selfie needs. It has a large 6.21″ Super AMOLED multitouch screen with a 1080 x 2248 resolution that’s designed to deliver vibrant colors, deep blacks, and rich contrast. Running the Android 8.1 Oreo operating system, this phone is powered by a 2.8/1.8 GHz (4 x 2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4 x 1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) Snapdragon 845 Octa-Core processor, and 6GB of RAM. You can store your apps, hi-res selfies, 4K videos, and more on the 64GB of built-in storage.
Unlocking bootloader on Android devices is the first step to open the door to awesomeness. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can flash a custom recovery like TWRP to take backups, flash custom ROMs, etc…
To unlock the bootloader on Mi 8, you no need to obtain the unlock permission from the OEM. So, if you’re looking to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 8 Android device, follow the below tutorial.
How To Unlock Bootloader Xiaomi Mi 8 / SE / EE / Pro / LITE
- Tap on About Phone and locate MIUI version. In quick successions, tap on this option 7 times, which will unlock Developer Settings and you’ll see a message saying “You are now a developer!“.
- Go back a step and in the main menu of Settings, scroll down to Additional Settings, and then on Developer options.
- Here you’ll find an option, OEM unlocking. Tap on it to toggle it on, you might be asked for your passcode or unlock pattern followed by a warning about the potential dangers of bootloader unlocking. Tap Enable on it.
- Now within the same menu, head over to Mi Unlock Status and tap on it. Then tap on Add account and device.
- Now that you’ve followed all of the steps above, it’s safe to move to your Windows PC. Download Mi Unlock Tool using this link and unpack the ZIP file.
- Now run the Mi Flash Tool then it will ask to login to your existing account so fill up login credentials and login with the same Mi account that you used before.
- Now connect your Xiaomi Mi 8 via USB cable and restart it in Fastboot mode. To boot up in Fastboot mode, switch off the device and hold the Volume Down Button. As you continue holding this button, press the POWER button and do not release the volume down button until you see Fastboot in green text displayed on the screen.
- Now, the Mi Unlock tool will show a device connected. Once it does, click on Unlock and you’ll be warned twice about the potential harms of bootloader unlocking which includes lesser protection and greater vulnerability to malware. Click on Unlock anyway.
- Now, you can sit back and relax as the tool tries to unlock your Xiaomi Mi 8’s bootloader. If you’re trying it for the first time, chances are you’ll see an error asking you to try after 720 hours (30 days). If you’re lucky enough, your Xiaomi Mi 8’s bootloader will be unlocked and you’ll see a message informing the same.
- If your efforts hit a wall, you can try again after the 720 hour period is over and this time, hopefully, you should be successful.
- To check the status of the bootloader, you can go to Settings – Additional settings – Developer options – Mi unlock status and you’ll see a message saying the bootloader is unlocked.
That’s it you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi 8 and you can now root your device and unleash the true potential of your smartphone.